Miscellaneous Miscellany Monday
1. There are few things in life I hate more than apartment hunting. At this point, I’d rather get kicked in the nuts every hour, on the hour, for the next 17,000 hours than go look at another apartment. Hell, I’d even volunteer to go to a Coldplay concert to get a prostate exam at this point, I hate life so much right now.
Suffice it to say, my girlfriend and I spent the better part of the weekend speaking with real estate agents and checking a few places out, but alas, nothing really fell through. I have a few appointments lined up this week though, so please, everyone, keep your fingers crossed for me.
2. I received an email last week from a former distance coaching client confirming, once again, that it is in fact possible to hit a 400 lb deadlift within a year of proper training. It went something like this:
Q: How many French Lit majors do you know who can deadlift 400?
A: …cause however many that is, you now know one more. I warmed up just like you told me to, so it went like this:
A2) Flare lats at anyone who’ll look at me
So do I get to choose my superpower now or am I just the plaything of destiny?
It wasn’t until after the fact that he realized it was almost a year to the date that he started with me that he hit his goal. It’s stuff like that that makes me realize that I have a pretty sweet job. Nice work Cole!
3. Speaking of deadlifts, Bret Contreras had an awesome article published over at Wannabebig.com that I thought was fantastic. Check it out HERE.
4. Keeping with the deadlift theme for a little while longer, it really, really, really, really, really amazes me just how clueless some people are. Admittedly, I don’t spend a lot of time on Facebook everyday. Sure I check-in on a daily basis to see what (real) friends of mine are up to, and I may post one of my blogs on there from time to time, but all in all, I’ll check my news feed once or twice a day, and that’s that.
I’d be a hypocrite if I said I didn’t use Facebook to self-promote myself and to establish a broader network of people to interact with on a professional basis. Like I said, I’ll post blogs on occasion. What’s more, I may reach out to other fitness professionals for interviews or just to talk some shop.
Maybe it’s just me, but I’m really turned off by those who use Facebook to do nothing but post countless, silly “status” updates, and do nothing but talk about themselves incessantly.
Listen, I get it. On one hand, I realize that that is the nature of Facebook; me, me, and me. On the other hand, however, I just feel that some people just take it to the douchey of douchiest degrees.
I remember a few weeks ago, a “fitness professional” posting a video of him or herself (I won’t name names) performing a deadlift, stating something to the affect of: “look at me and how awesome I am!!!” Thing is, their form made my retinas perpetually bleed – it was THAT bad. Worse still, just about everyone who commented on the thread congratulated this person on how great the lift was, and how impeccable their form was. Huh? Did they not just see the same video I just saw??????? It just made me realize how much of a disconnect there is in our industry. Sad, really.
5. Just when I thought a bad product couldn’t get any more ridiculous……….
You know for a fact that for one of these dudes, this was their “big break” into fitness modeling. Poor guy. Here he is thinking that it couldn’t get any worse than being “the dude in the background” during a Tony Little infomercial, and now he’s going to be known for doing soft core porn. I guess it could have been worse – it could have been a commercial for industrial strength penis shrinking cream. Such is life……
6. And, just as a reminder – both Mike Robertson and Bill Hartman are hosting a pretty sweet seminar at I-FAST later this summer. Outside of the Perform Better tour, this is undoubtedly going to be one of the better events this year! Be sure to check it out HERE.
7. Came across this video from a local sports-talk show here in Boston (Toucher and Rich), and I had to share it with you guys. DOUBLE RAINBOWS!!!!!