Miscellaneous Miscellany Monday: 3/21/2011
1. First off, I want to thank everyone who chimed in on Friday and made a donation to the Red Cross to help relief efforts in Japan. All told, I think I was able to raise roughly $350 – which ain’t too shabby for a lazy Friday afternoon.
You kept your end of the bargain, and I’m going to keep mine. I took the names of all of those who donated, and picked a name out of a hat, and…………………
MATT DUSTIN, you’re the winner!!
I’ll be shooting you an e-mail shortly to get your mailing address so I can send you some Biotest supplements, as well as a Cressey Performance t-shirt. Let me know if you want me to sign it! Kidding. Kinda.
2. So, I had a really (really) good deadlifting session last week. It was just one of those fly by the pants training sessions where I just had it in my head that I was going to work up to a few heavy singles and kinda judge where I’m at strength wise.
As it stands now, my best pull is 570 lbs. I worked up to four heavy singles above 90% last week (515×1, 530×1,1,1) and they flew up (for the most part). Afterwards, I wanted to get a little volume in, and I pulled 495 for four reps, and one last set for five.
And, it got me thinking: Maybe I should quit being a pansy and try for 600 lbs before summer hits.
Initially the game plan was to get my sexy on, lean up, and then go for it shortly thereafter. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to go for it now, and then worry about getting all “six-packy” later on.
Besides, any Joe Schmo can get lean. Not everyone can say that he ripped 600 lbs off the floor and then spontaneously impregnated every woman within a six block radius.
It’s on!!!! So, I guess I’ll just have to set a date and go for it.
3. So, someone sent me THIS link yesterday regarding some random woman’s experience on Tracy Anderson’s absolutely retarded diet plan that she promotes for all of her clients.
Anyone who’s read this blog for any length of time knows my feeling towards Tracy’s methods. Rather than regurgitate my thoughts, I’ll just defer to Jonathan Fass:
I might be preaching to the Choir here a little, but this woman disgusts me: She makes impressionable and desperate people sick and seriously risks their health for a fast buck. She’s not a “health professional,” she’s a two-bit hustler and a. villan, and she makes me sick. – Jonathan Fass, responding to the article 3/20/2011
What he said.
4. Sunday is typically the one day out of the week that I try to catch up on life and do things like clean my apartment, catch up on laundry, and go grocery shopping. I’m always amazed at how people will often make excuses that they never have time to cook their own meals during the week, and will often opt for fast food instead.
Sure it’s easier and waaaaay more conveinent. But it certainly doesn’t bode well for the waistline.
What it boils down to is the fact that they don’t prepare a head of time, and make an effort to have heathier options available. In other words: many are just too lazy to get their ass to the grocery store. You know, not enough time.
I decided to time myself yesterday. I made my list (VERY IMPORTANT), and I got into my car and drove to Trader Joe’s – which, admittedly is only like two miles from my apartment. Anyways, from door-to-door it took me all of twenty minutes to complete ALL of my grocery shopping for the week. Twenty minutes!
I had a plan and that makes all the difference in the world. Now, all of my cupboards and fridge are filled with things like eggs, oatmeal, dates/figs, fresh fruit, veggies, lean beef, yogurt, tiger blood, almond milk, cheese, and spouted bread to last me the week. So for all of you who never have the time, I’m calling bullshit. Make a list, bring it with you, and follow it.
5. Quote of the day, courtesy of one Lisa Lewis (my girlfriend) as she’s running all over the place this morning getting ready for work:
I’m gonna come home, train, eat my beef, and then write my lecture for class.
She’s a keeper.
6. One of our clients sent me THIS link depicting the various body types of elite Olympic athletes.
I thought it was fascinating and just goes to show that there’s a sport for every body…..hahaha, see what I just did there? That’s what I like to call wordplay.
Okay, EC is gone for the week on his much deserved Honeymoon, and CP has officially turned into GP (Gentilcore Performance). So, to that end, Tony’s Techno Tuesdays has turned into Tony’s Techno Week. Muhahahahahahaha.