Miscellaneous Miscellany Monday (two days late)
Long story short: I was stranded in Indianapolis Sunday (my flight back to Boston was canceled last minute due to a faulty seal in the hatch), so I flew back early Monday morning instead. Needless to say, I’m just now able to update my blog, and since I usually start the week with a “Miscellaneous Miscellany Monday,” that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Without further ado…..
1. My trip was a blast. It’s always a great when I have the chance to hang out with friends, lift heavy shit, eat lots of dead animal flesh, and talk shop. Mike Robertson and Bill Hartman were great hosts, and their gym is the shiznit. It’s always refreshing to watch other top notch trainers do their thing, and as expected, both of them cracked a couple of knowledge bombs throughout the entire weekend. If you live in or around the Indianapolis area, be sure to check them out at I-FAST.
2. Speaking of Indianapolis, how in the hell do they have a Fogo de Chao and Boston doesn’t?
Eating there was one of the manliest things I have ever done; outside of holding a girl’s hand on a first date one time. Seriously though, how is it possible to not love a place where there are dudes walking around with 15 different cuts of meat. The premise is simple, you sit down and are handed a “coaster” that is green on one side, and red on the other.
Green = bring it on, bitch.
Red = “excuse me while I go dominate the bathroom.”
It was glorious.
3. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I started reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four MealsThe Omnivore’s Dilemma, and all I have to say is that I’m roughly a third of the way through it, and it’s hands down, one of the best books I’ve read in a while. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:
4. On a related note, check out this article by Dr. Lonnie Lowery discussing why you’re an idiot if you believe that high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is “healthy” because it’s made from corn.
5. As I mentioned earlier, I was stranded in Indianapolis on Sunday, and as a result, US Airways put me up in a hotel Sunday night. To help pass the time, I thought I would try to see if there was a gym close by to go train. Unfortunately, there wasn’t anything within a 35 minute cab ride. But I thought it was rather amusing when I asked the girl at the front desk where the local gyms were, and she responded with, “oh, do you workout?” In my defense, I was wearing a sweatshirt, so she wasn’t able to fully witness the steel pipes that are my biceps.
6. Guys who wear straps for things like seated rows are walking bags of douche. Worse still, is when they’re finished, they walk around with what can only be described as invisible water jugs under their arms (arms flared out to their sides). Wow, you’re amazing dude. Listen, I understand that wrist straps are beneficial, and allow for someone to use a weight that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to use when grip strength is the limiting factor. But jesus, is it really necessary to use them on lateral raises???????
7. A bunch of of the crew from CP are going out to see one of my favorite artists, Ryan Montbleau tonight in Harvard Square.
I don’t know what the hell happened to me. It wasn’t too long ago where all I listened to was Wu-Tang Clan and Biggie. Watch, next I’ll be watching movies like 27 Dresses and Made of Honor. Hahahahahahaha. That will be the day. No but seriously, I missed Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants on HBO last night. Goddamit!!!!!
8. Just throwing it out there. Does anyone know of anyone renting a one bedroom apartment in the Davis Square/Porter Square area starting June 1st? In what has got to be a record, I’ll be moving for the 7th time in five years in a few months, and I’m sick of Craigslist. I’ll throw in a free tub of Surge for anyone who finds me an apartment. Bonus bottle of Flame Out if my next door neighbors happen to be two hot chicks who happen to have an affinity for naked tickle fights with their windows open. I’m all about incentives.