Miscellaneous Miscellany Monday: 1/24/11
I just realized that I haven’t done one of these in a while, so I figured I’d take today and ramble a bit.
1. Website update: I know I’ve been saying this for a while now, but the new website is literally right around the corner. Jason Lengstorf and his staff at Copter Labs have been doing a fantastic job designing what should be, pretty much the best website ever created. We’ve had a few monkey wrenches thrown our way (mainly because I’m about as organized as Eric Cressey’s desk) , but the new site should go live sometime this week barring any major catastrophe.
2. I love watching our athletes kicking ass and taking names. Take Becca, for instance. Becca’s a sophomore pitcher at Lincoln-Sudbury high school, and she’s been training at Cressey Performance for about a year and a half now, and has gained quite the reputation. As a matter of fact, some of our older female clients joke about scheduling their training sessions around whenever Becca will be in so that they can watch her train! Totally not kidding.
And while she’s probably going to give me the look of death for saying anything, Becca recently made an 18 and Under GOLD team coached by former USA and Olympic coach, Ralph Raymond. She’ll be competing against girls who are upwards of two years older than she is, and I have no doubts that she’ll hold her own. Congrats Becca!
3. And speaking of bad-assery – check this out.
I passed the ETK man among men test for lady comrades tonight!! I did the 200 snatches with the 12kg in 9:37, and that included a 0:25 break at the halfway point to gasp a little (or maybe more than a little). For the quarter-body weight press test, I used my pre-pregnancy weight as the measuring stick and pushed the 16kg no problem. Just for grins I tried the quarter of my pregnancy weight push at the 20kg and got the right arm up no problem and the left up kinda ugly. But I count the 16kg as the real test. Not bad for 35 weeks!
That’s one of my distance coaching clients, Laura M, basically taking a massive dump on any person who’s ever said that women shouldn’t train during their pregnancy because “it’s too dangerous.” HA!
4. Just a little FYI for those who are interested in nutritional consultations. Former CP nutrition guru, Brian St. Pierre, is currently having a 20% off special that runs through the end of THIS week (January 31st). As someone who has worked with Brian and knows his style, I can say that he definitely separates himself from the masses. For more information, click HERE.
5. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted someone to feel what it’s like to be un-conscious more than this guy:
I can look past the fact that every video he does he has his shirt off – whatever. What really drives me bat-shit crazy is the fact that he (and everyone who defends him) thinks that he actually squatted 225 that many times.
I love how all these people defending him in the comments section are saying that all you need to do is get to parallel and it counts. Sure, I’d agree. But he doesn’t even reach parallel on any rep. Not even once. By my calculation, if you added up the total ROM of every rep he did, you’d get, I don’t know, retarded six.
6. It’s negative two degrees outside right now, and there’s talk of yet another storm hitting us in the middle of the week. That would make FOUR storms in the past three weeks. How many more weeks until Spring again????
7. If you like quirky comedies like me (think Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums), than you’ll definitely want to check out Cyrus:
I’ve always been a big fan of John C. Reilly and it goes without saying that there’s usually a 50/50 chance that Marisa Tomei will end up getting naked in any movie she’s in. Alas, while she doesn’t get naked, this was definitely a great movie to watch. Fair warming, though – while this is a comedy, it’s not The Hangover. It’s a bit of zany storyline (yes, I just used the word zany), and it definitely takes a while to get going, but it’s different, and doesn’t suck. And I can dig that. Check it out if you get a chance.