Stuff to Read While You’re Pretending to Work: 6/14/12
Before we get to the awesome stuff you should be reading, I just want to take the opportunity to give another quick reminder that there are still a handful of spots available for the PTDC Hybrid Training Seminar going on THIS weekend (6/16-6/17) at Body + Soul Fitness in Toronto, ON.
It’s shaping up to be a very eventful weekend with people traveling from all over Canada and the States to come get their learn on from the likes of myself, Nick Tumminello, Jon Goodman, Mark Young, Dan Trink, and Geoff Girvitz.
If you’re a personal trainer, strength coach, or just someone who plays a fitness professional on tv, I have no doubts that this is going to be an amazing event that’s going to help a lot of people become better at their craft.
Come on, it’s not like you have anything else planned this weekend. What are you going to do instead? You know damn well you’d rather come listen to me talk about breathing patterns and He-Man than go to the BlueJays game. Plus, if you’re a dude, I’m basically giving you a fail safe way to snake out of having to go to Bed, Bath & Beyond this weekend with your girlfriend.
It’s a no brainer.
You can either go listen about how deadlifts will cure just about everything or go argue about which discounted towel sets matches the bathroom decor. Your call, chief.
Right, see you there. Fist pump!
Macronutrient Breakdown: Protein – John Romaniello
Roman’s been dropping some major knowledge nuggets this week, breaking down each macronutrient (carbohydrates, fats, and proteins) and providing the make-up and benefits of each.
In this post, Roman dissects protein – arguably the most heralded macronutrient, especially within the fitness community.
The Most Faulty Pattern in Fitness Has NOTHING To Do With Movement – Nick Tumminello
Do we draw in or brace?
Will sit-ups make our spines hate us or not?
Ass to grass squats are the ONLY way to squat. Actually, maybe we should only go to parallel.
Steady state cardio is ideal for fat loss. Nuh-uh, intervals are.
Which is more intelligent: Tracy Anderson or a bowling ball? Although, is that really a debate?
The fitness industry is rife with contradictions and petty arguments. While I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t set in my ways on a few things, it’s amazing how as an industry, we’ll agree on 98% of everything, and then sweat the details on the other 2%.
Here, Nick provides a little insight on a “pattern” he sees repeating itself in the fitness industry every 5-10 years, sometimes to its own detriment .
88:88 – Robin Moore and Friends
I love film. For me, nothing beats walking down to my local theater and catching a matinee on a rainy Sunday afternoon, or opening up my mailbox to see that square red envelope from Netflix.
I don’t care. It could be anything from a summer popcorn movie starring Will Smith, to more idiosyncratic art house films that make my brain hurt whenever I try to interpret them.
So explain to me again why the man killed his wife and then married his best friend’s toaster oven?
What was that? It was a euphemism on today’s political environment and the corruption that engulfs it?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I get it. I think.
Anyways, knowing how much of a fan I am, a reader of my blog reached out to me the other day asking if I’d be willing to check out a short film that he and a few of his friends made that was starting to make its way around the festival circuit – including Ridley Scott’s Youtube Festival.
I watched it, and thought it was pretty cool.
Don’t worry, it’s completely safe for work. No bad words or anything.
See. Cool, right? It took them around four months from pre production to post production to make it, and I think it’s awesome that they’re getting some recognition for their work.
Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Do me a favor and if you liked it, vote for it on the link provided on the actual Youtube page. And if you don’t like, you suck, and you’re banned from this site!
And that’s probably it for this week. I’ll be heading to Toronto tomorrow, and I doubt I’ll have time to write anything. I’ll be too busy hyperventilating on the plane.
Have an awesome weekend!