Stuff to Read While You’re Pretending to Work: 7/27/18
Lets get right to this week’s stuff.
BUT FIRST…CHECK THIS STUFF OUT
1. Strong Body-Strong Mind – Boston, MA
Dr. Lisa Lewis and I have designed a 1-day workshop for health/fitness professionals that touches on a topic rarely discussed: the SOFT SKILLS of coaching.
- How to improve exercise consistency.
- How to increase motivation and competency to train.
- How to assess clients/athletes and write more effective programs that better match their ability level.
- How to create loyal clients (and a growing bank account).
We’ll be holding another Strong Body-Strong Mind Workshop in Boston, MA on August 12th.
1. We offer both a Professional and Student rate.
2. CEUs will be available via the NSCA.
3. Predator Handshakes are free.
For more details (including itinerary and registration) go HERE.
2. Even More Complete Shoulder & Hip Blueprint – Houston, TX
This workshop will piggyback on the material Dean Somerset and I covered in the original Complete Shoulder & Hip Blueprint.
BUT NOW…it’s the Even More Complete Shoulder & Hip Blueprint.
A bunch of wordsmiths we are.
With this iteration, though, we’ll be going a bit deeper into the coaching and programming side of things:
- How to program around common injuries.
- How to “connect” the appropriate exercises to the client/athlete.
- How to squat and deadlift like a boss.
All registrants to this course (as well as future dates in Ljubljana, Slovenia & Los Angeles) will receive a free download of CSHB 1.0 so that you’re up-to-speed on the content Dean and I will be covering.
There’s only a little more than a week left to take advantage of the Early Bird rate for Houston.
STUFF TO READ WHILE YOU’RE PRETENDING TO WORK
It’s Okay to Struggle – Brett Jones
As it turns out the key to learning isn’t memorizing or even purposeful practice.
As Brett lays out in this excellent articles it’s something we rarely discuss……
The Best Writing Advice I Can Possibly Give You – James Fell
As a writer myself I enjoyed this piece by James Fell immensely.
Improve Your Lifting Form Today: Take a Breath – Jennifer Blake
“If you want to be a great lifter, it’s in your best interests to become a great breather, too.”
Breathing is one of those “finer detail” components that can make all the difference in the world with not only how lifting heavy things feels, but also in overall performance.
And it doesn’t have to be a time-intensive, follow Alice down the rabbit hole kinda thing either. Jennifer outlines a simple (albeit very effective) strategy that anyone can apply.
Social Media Shenanigans
Went in GNC to buy an energy drink and had to bite my tongue when the guy behind counter was trying to convince me how much sugar “decays” the body & then went on to ask me if I knew about Keto. “Sorry dude, wife’s waiting for me.” Byeeeeeeee
— Tony Gentilcore (@tonygentilcore1) July 21, 2018